All state-maintained schools in England are inspected by Ofsted. This includes local authority-run schools, academies and free schools, as well as non-maintained special schools, pupil referral units and further education/sixth form colleges. Ofsted also inspects some independent schools
School inspection is currently set out in legislation through the Education Act 2005. In this act, the regular two-day inspection is described as a Section 5 inspection and ‘other inspection’ is described as a Section 8 inspection (in England). This includes the new ‘short inspection’ of schools graded ‘Good’.
Schools that are rated Requires Improvement usually have a full re-inspection within 30 months.
Schools rated Inadequate have more regular monitoring, alongside support to improve their rating.
Ofsted inspectors look at four main areas:
- Quality of education
- Behaviour and attitudes
- Personal development of pupils
Schools receive a judgement for each of the four inspection areas, and an overall judgement. There are four numerical grades:
- 1: Outstanding
- 2: Good
- 3: Requires Improvement
- 4: Inadequate
The most recent Ofsted inspection at Erdington Academy was during the 8th and 9th May 2019.
During our most recent inspection, Ofsted identified the following strengths, among others:
- Leaders and governors are increasingly rigorous in tackling underperformance and are taking effective action that is leading to
improvements in teaching and outcomes.
- There is a strong emphasis on promoting pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and British values.
- Arrangements to ensure pupils are kept safe are very thorough.
- Provision for extra-curricular activities is very extensive.
- Support for pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) is effective.
Ofsted takes into account the views of parents and carers giving parents the chance to tell Ofsted what they think of your child’s school, responding to the questions asked.
The questionnaire can be completed at any time - you don’t have to wait until the school is being inspected.
Please click the link below to access the survey.