The English Faculty will empower every child to be able to communicate confidently and creatively, question curiously and critically and leave Erdington Academy with a love of literature that nourishes them for life.
Texts currently studied in Key Stage 3 English:
- A Monster Calls– Patrick Ness (Year 7)
- Millions (Year 7)
- Julius Caesar– William Shakespeare (Year 7)
- Detective Fiction (Year 7)
- The Crucible– Arthur Miller (Year 8)
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream– William Shakespeare (Year 8)
- Poetry (Year 8)
Texts currently studied in Key Stage 4 English:
- Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde- Robert Louis Stevenson (Year 9)
- An Inspector Calls- B. Priestley (Year 9)
- An anthology of poetry exploring social issues (Year 9)
- *A Christmas Carol– Charles Dickens (Year 10) (Click here to access a free online version)
- *Macbeth– William Shakespeare (Year 10) (Click here to access a free online version)
- *Animal Farm– George Orwell (Year 11)
- *The ‘Power and Conflict’ cluster of the AQA poetry anthology (Students will receive copies by January of the year of examination)
AQA English Language
Show My Homework (Erdington Academy students are all provided with login details.)
Examination Dates, May & June 2020:
English Language 8700 (1h 45m per paper)
- 8700/1 Explorations in creative reading and writing: Tuesday 2nd June 2020
- 8700/2 Writers’ viewpoints and perspectives: Friday 5th June 2020
English Literature 8702
- 8702/1 Shakespeare and the 19th century novel: Wednesday 13th May 2020 (1h 45m)
- 8702/2 Modern texts and poetry: Thursday 21st May 2020 (2h 15m)
Extra-curricular activities 2017:
- Debate Mate: Tuesdays after-school. Open to Year 7-10 students.
- Book Club: Tuesdays after-school. Open to Year 7 students, run by Year 10 students.
- HPA master-classes: held at various times throughout the year, during lunch time or Fridays after-school.
- Revision sessions: day to be confirmed, taking place afterschool from January of the year of examination.
- Writing Club: Thursdays after-school. Invitation only.
Throughout the year, trips are organised and offered to students where possible, as well.
Suggested Reading Lists: