The English Faculty will empower every child to be able to communicate confidently and creatively, question curiously and critically and leave Erdington Academy with a love of literature that nourishes them for life.
Texts currently studied in Key Stage 3 English:
- A Monster Calls– Patrick Ness (Year 7)
- Holes– Louis Sachar (Year 7)
- Stone Cold– Robert Swindells (Year 7)
- Blood Brothers– Willy Russell (Year 8)
- The Crucible– Arthur Miller (Year 8)
- Julius Caesar– William Shakespeare (Year 7)
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream– William Shakespeare (Year 8)
Texts currently studied in Key Stage 4 English:
- Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde- Robert Louis Stevenson (Year 9)
- An Inspector Calls- B. Priestley (Year 9)
- An anthology of poetry based around the theme of Clashes and Collisions, including (Year 9)
- *A Christmas Carol– Charles Dickens (Year 10) (Click here to access a free online version)
- *Macbeth– William Shakespeare (Year 10) (Click here to access a free online version)
- *Animal Farm– George Orwell (Year 11)
- *The ‘Power and Conflict’ cluster of the AQA poetry anthology (Students will receive copies by January of the year of examination)
AQA English Language
Show My Homework (Erdington Academy students are all provided with login details.)
Quizlet (Free to join. Students can revise with readymade resources and may be directed to resources prepared by members of the faculty.)
PiXL Lit (Erdington Academy students will be provided log in details by their class teachers.)
Examination Dates, June 2018:
English Language 8700 (1h 45m per paper)
- 8700/1 Explorations in creative reading and writing: Tuesday 5th June, 2018
- 8700/2 Writers’ viewpoints and perspectives: Friday 8th June 2018
English Literature 8702
- 8702/1 Shakespeare and the 19th century novel: Tuesday 22nd May 2018 (1h 45m)
- 8702/2 Modern texts and poetry: Friday 25th May 2018 (2h 15m)
Extra-curricular activities 2017:
- Debate Mate: Tuesdays after-school. Open to Year 7-10 students.
- Book Club: Tuesdays after-school. Open to Year 7 students, run by Year 10 students.
- HPA master-classes: held at various times throughout the year, during lunch time or Fridays after-school.
- Revision sessions: day to be confirmed, taking place afterschool from January of the year of examination.
- Writing Club: Thursdays after-school. Invitation only.
Throughout the year, trips are organised and offered to students where possible, as well.
Suggested Reading Lists: