Year 10 and 11 encounter another important stage of transition. Students are working hard towards their GCSEs / Vocational subjects Throughout year 10 students have opportunities to attend more bespoke college or specific career pathways taster days. Our HPA students attend Keble College, Oxford University to further raise their aspirations. Students will have meaningful encounters with a wide range of apprenticeship, further and higher education providers during ‘futures week’ and apprenticeship fair.
As well as having an enrichment day focus on interview skills, students also have two separate schemes of learning as part of the Erdington Edge which focuses on Skills to ‘get that job’ at the start of year 10 and look at how to develop a CV and develop interview techniques towards the end of the academic year. Students in year 10 will all complete a one week work experience placement in the Summer term.
During Year 10 you will have:
- Timetabled careers education lessons in Erdington Edge focusing on the development of employability skills.
- A 1:1 careers interview with an independent, impartial advisor (available to students for whom the school feels it is the most suitable support).
- CV preparation workshops and interview practice, culminating in a mock formal interview with an employer;
- One-week work experience placement in the Summer
- Access to impartial careers information and advice via the careers pages of the website and unifrog
By the end of Year 10 you will:
- Have developed a wide range of employability skills
- Have gained genuine insights into the world of work
- Planned your personal targets for year 11.
What our students say about Careers Education
Yr10 HPA Oxford University – May 2019
“Keble College visit has inspired me to work harder for my exams and I definitely want to attend University in the future. I have learned to succeed you need not just academic qualifications but also have a passion for the subject that you want to study.”
“I like the way school takes us on amazing educational visits about our future possible pathways when we leave school. It was a very good trip.”
Yr 10 HPA Insight into Law – November 2019
“I’m more confident in deciding if I would like to pursue a law careers and what I need to do to achieve it.”
Yr 10 HPA Insight into Optometry – November 2019
“Today I learnt about the different roles and about different eye conditions and qualifications needed.”
“I’m going to become an Optometrist – no matter what.”
Yr 10 Graphic Designer Workshop
“I had fun exploring graphic design and spending the day creatively.”
“I enjoyed making my own company logo and company name.”